Alva is a philosopher working on consciousness at the University of California in Berkeley. His new book Out of our Heads: Why You Are Not your Brain and Other Lessons from the Biology of Consciousness will be published in February 2009 by Farrar Strauss and Giroux. Alva's work explores the idea that consciousness isn't something that happens in us, in our brain or anywhere else; it is something we do. In recent work he has turned to the relation between art and consciousness and is now working closely with dancers. In addition to many articles, he is the author Action In Perception (MIT Press 2004), in which he argues that only by understanding the action of the body in the world can one understand perception and consciousness.
- What Things are Conscious? (Alva Noe)
- What Makes Brains Conscious? (Alva Noe)
- Solutions to the Mind-Body Problem? (Alva Noe)
- What's the Meaning of Consciousness? (Alva Noe)
- Can a Person be a Soul? (Alva Noe)
- How Do Human Brains Think and Feel? (Alva Noe)
- How does Philosophy Illuminate the Physical World? (Alva Noe)
- What is the Mind-Body Problem? (Alva Noe)
- Why a Mind-Body Problem? (Alva Noe)
- Is Consciousness an Illusion? (Alva Noe)
- Why is Consciousness Baffling? (Alva Noe)
Can Religion Be Explained Without God?
Most people believe that God exists and religion is God’™s revelation. But some claim that religion needs nothing supernatural; that religion, without God, can flourish because personal psychology and group sociology drive religion.
Current TV Episodes - Summaries.
The 39 episodes in the current TV season: 13 episodes each for Cosmos, Consciousness, God.
Closer To Truth overview. Go behind the scenes and meet the CTT team. View photos from around the globe and more.
Additional material and resources on Closer To Truth topics.
Visit SciTech Daily: the best intelligent, informed science & technology coverage and analysis daily.