John is a philosopher who focuses on explaining existence. He is the author of Universes (the first comprehensive philosophical study of multiple universes and their implications); The End of the World: The Science and Ethics of Human Extinction; Infinite Minds; and Immortality Defended; and he is the editor of Modern Philosophy and Cosmology. Oxford-educated, he served on the faculty of the Philosophy Department at the University of Guelph, Ontario, until he became Professor Emeritus so as to pursue his own research. His research interests center around the following categories: Metaphysics, with emphasis on the nature of causation, of time, of the mind, and of the world's unity. Philosophy of Religion, emphasizing (1) the neoplatonist idea that God, instead of being an omnipotent creator, is a need for the world to exist, a need which is itself creatively effective; and (2) the Spinozistic notion that the world is just the thoughts of a divine mind. Philosophy of Cosmology, particularly the suggestion that there exist many universes, ours being one of the rare ones in which intelligent living beings can evolve. Ethics, particularly the duty to prevent the extinction of the human race. Analysis of Risks through probability theory and decision theory. John has begun work on a new book (with Robert Lawrence Kuhn), tentatively titled Explaining Existence, which shall attempt to present a comprehensive set of readings and analysis in response (if not answer) to the most fundamental question that can be asked: Why is there Something rather than Nothing?
- Alternative Concepts of God (John Leslie)
- Immortality and Personal Consciousness (John Leslie)
- What's Fundamental in the Cosmos? (John Leslie)
- What is Ultimate Reality? (John Leslie)
- Why Anything at All? (John Leslie)
- Explaining Existence (John Leslie)
- Panentheism: Is the World in God? (John Leslie)
- Pantheism: Is God All Reality? (John Leslie)
- Is this the Best of All Possible Worlds? (John Leslie)
- Why the Cosmos? (John Leslie)
- Why Not Nothing? (John Leslie)
- Why a Fine-Tuned Universe? (John Leslie)
- How Big Can the Cosmos Get? (John Leslie)
- Explaining Existence (Part 1 of 2) (John Leslie)
- Why do We Search for Intelligent Aliens? (John Leslie)
- What's Real about Time? (John Leslie)
- Must the Universe Spawn Life and Mind? (John Leslie)
- Where Do the Laws of Nature Come From? (John Leslie)
- Explaining Existence (Part 2 of 2) (John Leslie)
- What are the Ultimate Questions of All Reality? (Part 2 of 2) (John Leslie)
- What are the Ultimate Questions of All Reality? (Part 1 of 2) (John Leslie)
- Is This the Best of All Possible Worlds? (John Leslie)
- Wondering about God? (John Leslie)
- Is God Temporal or Timeless? (John Leslie)
- Does Evil Refute God's Existence? (John Leslie)
- Is God All Powerful? (John Leslie)
- Is God All Knowing? (John Leslie)
- Why is There "Something" Rather than "Nothing"? (John Leslie - Part 2)
- Why is There "Something" Rather than "Nothing"? (John Leslie - Part 1)
- Is This the End Time? (John Leslie - 2 of 2)
- Is This the End Time? (John Leslie - 1 of 2)
- Is Consciousness Irreducible? (John Leslie)
Can Religion Be Explained Without God?
Most people believe that God exists and religion is God’™s revelation. But some claim that religion needs nothing supernatural; that religion, without God, can flourish because personal psychology and group sociology drive religion.
Current TV Episodes - Summaries.
The 39 episodes in the current TV season: 13 episodes each for Cosmos, Consciousness, God.
Closer To Truth overview. Go behind the scenes and meet the CTT team. View photos from around the globe and more.
Additional material and resources on Closer To Truth topics.
Visit SciTech Daily: the best intelligent, informed science & technology coverage and analysis daily.